Oh, the joys of the New Year. January has become our opportunity for a reboot, it’s an opportunity to leave behind what’s bad and embrace what’s new and good. When you’re deciding what to overhaul, don’t forget about the home front. For decor lovers looking for tips on 2019 decorating, look no further.
- Shop your home– In 2019 we are a lot more aware of the effects we are having on the planet. We are trying to be ‘smarter’ with our purchases and make them a lot more sustainable and therefore being less wasteful. This is where the ‘shop your home’ trend has come along. Before you buy look around your home as there might be something perfect to style your home hiding in a different room.
- Feminine Tones– The big Colours are blush, dusty pink and bronze. Warm colours and feminine tones for on the walls and dashes of soft pinks to break up expanses of taupe or neutrals will instantly update a tired room. The rise of the browns and creams are also on the up! Think earthy tones.
- Chintz– Big Bold Floral fabrics and wallpapers. The traditional beauty of floral patterns, either abstracted or straight up chintz, will be the pattern to use. Be it as an accent on a chair or cushion or chintz upon chintz. It is certainly a big winner for 2019!
- Boho Vibe– The boho vibe is back but with a vintage modern twist and curved lines. Layering and patterned fabrics is something you will see again, but this time around, they will be a bit cleaner and brighter. Curved furnishings and softer lines and mixing of modern and vintage. A trend I have always loved. Mixing the old and the new!
- Chromatherapy(art of using colour to heal) is an emerging trend. It’s about thinking about how you want your room to feel? Do you want a cosy calming living room? Or do you want the room to feel more energised and uplifting because it is a workspace? Big questions interior designers and stylist ask to capture how a client wants to feel when they are in that space.
- Black is back–Be prepared to see black in places you wouldn’t have originally thought of. Black bathrooms and black kitchens are big for 2019. Using black as an accent colour is still huge too, adding masculinity to your taps and making your windows pop.
- Light floors– Light-coloured floors are making a comeback, thanks to the homeowner’s growing desire for a more airy and open look and feel. In shades of birch, beachy white and light oak, these floors reflect more light, and can transition from casual to luxurious, without sacrificing comfort. With some of these floors continuing the flow into the outdoors to create that indoor – outdoor connection.
- Passamenterie– The “less is more” trend has been enjoyed for a long time, but now, modern interpretations of trims, bullion fringe and tie-backs will be in. Vibrant colour combinations and a trend I already loved in 2018 and will continue to do so in 2019 with fringing, ribbons and pom poms. The high street is littered with this from bedding to cushions. So you can add a little or a lot of this to your home. Or if you are good at DIY why not add the trimming yourself. This is where the shopping your home trend is always a good idea first.
- Bold walls– Be brave and be adventurous and a lot more people are because it really does pay off when it comes to colour. The current Moods are dramatic, moody deep greens, blue and blacks with brown also on the up!
- Maximalist art– The dominance of minimalism and Scandinavian design, which is characterised by neutral colours and simple materials, is finally declining. In its place, bright colours and graphic patterns are becoming more prevalent in the home. Don’t be afraid to mix colours, patterns and textures. Take a gallery wall and personalise it to you but mostly have fun with it!
- Biophilia– This trend is continuing and will do for sometime. It is emphasising the relationship between humankind and nature, and the connections between the two. Natural, organic materials–such as wood floors, stone, and daylight and plant life remind us of the exterior and brings the outside and nature, in. We are machine and technology driven society so lets bring it back to nature and the real beauty of the world.
Some photos are from current jobs and some are Pinterest. Please see the link for more information on the Pinterest images.
For upto date information don’t forget to follow my social media channels.